Monday, June 16, 2008

Another apartment application

There is an apartment I saw being advertised the past few weeks but with no viewings set, so I called them today and they were having a viewing this afternoon. I phoned ahead and asked them to bring me forms so I could fax them back to them. I dressed up nicely for it. I went and paid an option fee in cash.

There was another couple there - I think I dressed more nicely than them and have a better chance because I paid my option fee up front. There was an indian guy going there to check it out and he also wasn't dressed as professional as I was.

So I've been busy filling out the dozen pages of forms and providing all kinds of ID. Now I'm waiting for my ex-ex-ex-landlord / friend to come sign a letter of reference for me, and in the morning I'll have one ready for my boss to do the same. I listed a friend (ex-housemate), my boss, and another friend who is a Dr as personal references.

Then I'll fax it through and cross my fingers.

I've prepared a Form 22 "Notice by tenant of termination" to hand to my landlord if my application sounds like it will be accepted tomorrow. It gives him 2 days notice I'll be moving out because the apartment is rendered uninhabitable due to bed bug infestation. I'm not positive it will stand up in court but I'm fairly certain I can defend it - even after the spraying. It is faster than going to court to get the rental agreement actually annulled.

I really really really want this apartment. It's a little more expensive than what I have now, and it has no pool or gym. But it would be mine, and I can imagine setting it up with all of my things.

Now - if I don't get it, I'm not sure what I will do. Clearly I'm not living in the old place. But I'm not sure about moving things back to my parent's house. I looked into the cost of self-storage today and it's about $40/week. I could probably handle that if I need a place to put my things temporarily.

It looks like I will have to bite the bullet, do it, and pray this apartment comes through for me.

No comments: