Sunday, June 22, 2008

Moved

Well I moved all of my things home. I got some cans of insect repellent and sprayed everything down - every inch of the bookshelf, the outside of the boxes, the outside of the bags, inside the back of my LCD monitor, inside and outside of my computer (sans hard drive). What's funny is each morning the things are covered with dead mosquitoes and things. Gross.

The spray is VERY wet and takes a LONG time to dry even with a heater on it. In retrospect I don't think spraying electronics was the best idea - especially if you did this yourself you should not spray it on the front surface of any screen, or inside the power supply of a computer (the wetness could short a capacitor which could explode or start a fire).

Here you can see a photo of my new plastic life:














I also took apart my keyboard and computer, but couldn't get all the way in to check them. They look okay though and I sprayed around just to be sure. Same with the mouse, and all the cabling (I sprayed the whole lot them wiped it down a while later). My computer seems to be all working. The hard drive is making some ticking sounds that are a worry, but it might just be me imagining things. I did have trouble starting it but now it all seems okay.

I went through two garbage bags of washing (it was about 5 lots in a big washing machine), and donated a lot of clothes (and other things, after washing) to charity seeing as I never wear them and need the space to store things. I have one set of washing left to do - about one load worth. I'll do that tonight.

I feel a little better. I haven't seen or found any bugs since moving. I took so many precautions with all of my things - bagging everything carefully, washing everything on hot, drowning the outsides in anti-bedbug spray (only one type of Mortein in the whole range will kill them, so if you go that route "to be safe" then choose carefully from the label), throwing things away, etc.

I think we should tip the couch over in my parent's house tonight, seeing as I fell asleep there once, and just check to make sure there's nothing living underneath it. You know, just to be sure.

No comments: