Monday, June 16, 2008

My plans

I went back to my room yesterday and found live bugs on the walls and hiding underneath my computer - the PCO hadn't even moved or sprayed underneath it. I guess he just did the corners of the room or something. He also didn't bother to check or spray the balcony.

My rent is coming due as of Thursday night, so I have to make a decision. Do I keep paying for a place I'm still not living in, or do I move back to my parents temporarily while I look for another place - and put my things in storage so I don't possibly take anything back to their house?

I choose the former. I took a friend with me and handed the landlord a legal form saying I was moving out with 2 days notice due to the apartment being uninhabitable due to bed bugs.

The problem is moving out so quickly, with only a few days notice. I had two choices.

I could pay two more weeks rent, give two weeks notice, and then take him to court and try to claim it back for prior breach of contract. Or I could give him a form now that is used for very serious non-breach of contract situations that only requires 2 days of notice to be given.

I gave him that form. On one hand it's risky because I could go to court and have to prove it was such a serious situation that the place was uninhabitable. That could be hard seeing as most of the bugs are now dead. But I believe that with the photos I've taken and the fact that the spraying wasn't done thoroughly - I could win that case.

While I was there he also asked if I was taking the owner to court. I explained I will have to take him to court because that's the legal advice I got. He asked for copies of everything after the trial so he can then take his landlord to court to recover his costs. I will do that, but I don't think he will win, because the evidence we would both use is different.

So where am I going to move to?

There was this one apartment I wanted to see a few weeks ago but no viewing had been arranged. I called them today and surprise surprise, there was a viewing this afternoon. I asked them to bring me faxable sign up forms, and to bring their receipt book just in case.

I walked in there and I suddenly felt lighter and more relaxed. The place will be about $50pw more expensive than what I pay now - and no pool or gym or nice view. But it will be just mine, it's single bedroom, and it just feels like a new home. I paid them a deposit straight away - they still have to approve my details though which will take a day or two.

If they don't approve my details, Thursday afternoon my brother and I will load all my things into a truck and take them to a self-storage place, then I will live on my mother's couch until I can find a new place. If they do give me the place - I can just carry my stuff down the road to it.

I bought special dust and things so I can cordon off my things while I check them for bugs, but I'm pretty sure I'm safe, I packed everything so carefully. If I do find any bugs I will pay for a PCO myself straight away.

Anyway tomorrow and Wednesday I have to go back home and (shower!) and take all the dry cleaning back, hang up the curtains, vacuum up all the dead bugs, and put the room back into the same shape as when I got there. I have to do it all while my landlord isn't there either so he can't attack me or anything while I'm alone, too.

I'm so close to the end of the rainbow now. Only 3 days to go and things are either going to be hell (moving to my parents) or great (getting my new place). But at least something is happening instead of hanging in limbo like the past two and a half weeks.

No comments: